Sunday, November 29, 2009

Channel IX Rant: Capcom DLC

Greetings From Worlds Beyond! This is a Channel IX Rant!
Today's topic: Capcom and @#$!%*& DLC!

The other day I was on IGN, perusing their catalog of gaming information and whatnot when the front page ticker shifts its way to a new article. This one happened to be about the latest "addition" to the Street Fighter franchise with SUPER STREET FIGHTER 4!!!
SUPER Street Fighter 4 hadn't really been on my radar because really the only thing that was new that I saw was a single new character and maybe a new mode, I dunno. But when I saw the article revealing new characters I couldn't help but take a peek. At first I wasn't really surprised it was basically "Holy Crap! SUPER Street Fighter 4 is gonna be AWESOME!" but when I scrolled down a bit I saw revealed 3 new characters.

Damn.

You see, I never really got into the mainline series for Street Fighter until 4 mostly because it just felt a little too stiff and I never really could pull off character specials and whatnot, But I really liked the Street Fighter Alpha series, which in my opinion far exceeded the mainline series with its special finishers and super moves, not to mention its accessibility, lack of ridiculous rehashing (There was no SUPER HYPER STREET FIGHTER ALPHA ULTRA REMIX), and Alpha 3's ridiculously humongous roster.

So when I saw 3 Alpha mainstays, Guy, Cody and Adon, lovingly rendered in 3D, I flipped.

You see, by now I've had it with Capcom. If don't know why I'm mad about this game, let me fill you in: It isn't a downloadable expansion. If your inauguration into the series was 4 then you might not know what the big deal is, but its the fact that, in this day and age Capcom is still screwing people up the ass with their games. I knew that Super Street Fighter 4 was coming. Its tradition by now. The problem is, I shouldn't have to trade in my old SF4 copy and another twenty dollars to play as 4 new characters. It was ok back in the 16 bit and the PS2/Xbox era, but now, its unacceptable.

But that's not what grinds my teeth the most.

I would be fine if they didn't do DLC all that often, but the problem is is that they do actually do a ton of DLC. It just SUCKS.
Let's list off some of the DLC releases for three of Capcom's games.

Street Fighter 4: Costumes at $5 per pack.
Resident Evil 5: Versus Mode.
Megaman 9: Hard Mode, Very Hard Mode and the Protoman game.

Seeing a pattern?
Exactly these are all purchases that should have been in the games themselves. Costumes for fighting games are fairly standard, versus mode is a mainstay by most shooter standards and don't even get me started on Hard Mode. I shouldn't have to pay for things that actually might already be in the game. It's a load of crap and is exactly why I'm mad at SUPER Street Fighter 4. Capcom's DLC proves that they are capable of releasing downloadable content, but Capcom itself is proving that its marketing team is a bunch of cheap bastards.

To end this rant allow me to give some suggestions.
#1 Make Super Street Fighter 4 the replacement for the old SF4 on the shelves, but offer a DLC upgrade for those with the older version.
#2 Stop releasing crap that should be standard. Its stupid, its idiotic and it doesn't make me want to buy a game with its standard content locked until I buy it separately.
#3 Don't tell your consumers to F*** off. That's bad business, and makes Capcom Japan look bad. I'm talkin' to you Svenson.

Anyways, I've rambled for long enough. See you on the other side.
~IX

No comments:

Post a Comment